I like recipe names to be descriptive.
I’m also not fond of florid, 400-word descriptions of what a recipe tastes like. I’ll figure that out after I taste it. I just want to get to the good stuff!
But I will say that this bitter | salty | sweet freakshow of a salad is not only tantalizingly intriguing, but worthy of the “full meal” label. In fact, I just ate this for dinner. It’s my second favorite salad after the Vietnamese style arugula mint orange sardine one I posted a couple of days back, but only because it takes longer to prepare. Taste wise, they’re so different and both so freakin awesome.
1:2 ratio of dandelion greens to arugula. I like to eat enormous portions, so I fill a family-size salad bowl. If you like it more bitter, up the dandelion.
1 wedge of honeydew, large diced
2 oz. prosciutto, sliced thin strips
1 oz. aged provolone, not the mild stuff
2 strips bacon (I prefer uncured organic stuff)
1/4 ripe banana
1 Tbsp good strong Dijon mustard
1 tsp virgin coconut oil
1.5 Tbsp or so of white wine vinegar (or whatever kind of vinegar you prefer)
1 Tbsp minced shallot
1 Tbsp bacon fat, reserved from pan
1 Tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Put bacon on to cook until crisp in small frying pan (start it on the cold pan and let heat slowly).
- While bacon’s going, place greens, melon, cheese and prosciutto in large salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, smash ripe banana well with the back of a fork, then add mustard, shallot, vinegar and coconut flakes. Mix well.
- When bacon is cooked, pat dry with paper towel, chop, and sprinkle on salad.
- Add 1 Tbsp bacon fat from pan to bowl with other dressing ingredients, along with the coconut oil.
- Microwave dressing until just warm. Pour on salad and toss. Add salt and fresh pepper to taste. Eat.
~530 cal, 37g fat, 33g carbs, 22g protein (none of this really matters for getting ripped as long as daily protein intake is adequate)